Sunday, March 6, 2011

Informercials, Jersey Shore, and Remodeling

For some reason when I woke up on Saturday, instead of cleaning my disaster of a house, I decided I would watch Moving Up on TLC. Big mistake - by the time I finished the show, I had decided that I needed to re-do the bathroom - had great plans. Then I remembered Shawn's voice in my head saying "no more projects till you finish the ones you started", When we bought this house 6 1/2 yrs ago, it had been redone - just not in my taste. So before we moved in, we painted and removed all of the hunter green and flowered wall paper and the rag rolled brown color that was throughout the entire house. The entire house was carpeted in mauve - even the dining room and bathrooms. We put in all new flooring throughout the whole house. The kitchen had mauve counter tops and dark walnut cabinets with flowered wall paper. We removed the counter tops and painted the cabinets - all so I wouldn't be sick everytime I cooked lol. Last yr, I decided I was tired of the quick paint job and we started to texture and repaint all of the walls - huge project. Everything went well until we got to the staircase by the dining room. The old owners had put in all new sheet rock when they moved in and wallpapered and glued mirrors straight to the sheet rock. I had watched enough shows that I knew to tape over the mirrored wall and magically it came off - wrong. All of the glass busted into a million pieces and it took off the sheet rock as we worked on it. Six hours later, the mirrors were gone, the sheet rock was fixed and it has stayed that way for the pasat yr. It was such an eyesore but I didn't care - I was burned out. So this was my project on Saturday. Looking back, I should have stuck with laundry and dusting. Shawn was at work all wkend and hasn't been home since Friday night and he has no idea what he is walking into. I started sanding and laughed because I thought that this was easy - why have I put it off for so long. After the damage was done - I now know. My entire house is covered in a fine dust - everything. The more I dusted and vac. the worse it became. The furniture is pushed out into the middle and I finished for the night ready for some sleep.

This is were the informercials and Jersey Shore come into play. I became so sick last night. I couldn't breathe, my ears and throat hurt and I couldn't sleep. Hot showers and my netty pot didn't even begin to help my hot mess. So I watched informercials all night long - except for the hour of Jersey Shore. I have always hated that show and now I love it. Why do I love a show of wreckless kids from Jersey - I think because it reminds me of my friends and days in college and grad school. Actually Grad school was so much more fun - even though I worked all day and had a ton of class work to finish. Writing research papers on alcoholics was so much more fun when we all were sitting around the table with a bottle of tequilla :) I did learn about all kinds of products from the newest ab machines, powder for your hair to hide the bald spots, and the latest cooking gadgets. It's a good thing I was too sick to walk to the computer and order some things. So today is a mad rush of errands and fine dusting before the hubby gets home - let's hope I can pull it off or my husband, who hates messes, will be grouchy tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Yay you put up pictures! I wanna see pictures of the remodel! hope you took before and after ones. btw what is jersey shore?? Guess I'm behind!

    ReplyDelete